‘Shangri-La of the East’
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again- our mission is to be the best music festival experience of our time, selling a limited quantity of tickets to the highest quality event experience, bar none, celebrating music, art and life in an intimate, visually stunning environment.
Dubbed the “Shangri-La of the East” in 2012, we’re well on our way! So RISE & SHINE beautiful people… it’s your time. FloydFest is your ticket.
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros The Lumineers Old Crow Medicine Show John Butler Trio Brandi Carlile Gogol Bordello Citizen Cope Yonder Mountain String Band Trampled by Turtles Railroad Earth Hot Tuna The Infamous Stringdusters Xavier Rudd Blitzen Trapper Michael Kiwanuka North Mississippi Allstars Donavon Frankenreiter The Devil Makes Three Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit Bombino The Hackensaw Boys Delta Rae Ben Sollee Lake Street Dive The Last Bison Rising Appalachia Nahko and Medicine for the People Yarn Bright Light Social Hour Baaba Seth Field Report Bronze Radio Return Langhorne Slim & The Law Megan Jean and the KFB Lizzy Ross Band Larry and His Flask Spirit Family Reunion Boston Boys L Shape Lot Yancarlos Sanchez Cheick Hamala Doug and Telisha Williams Band Furnace Mountain Freeman & Williams Jim Lauderdale Reverend Frank Newsome The Green Boys The Hey Boys Westbound Rangers Whitetop Mountain Band Blue Mule Juggle This Hypnotist Matthew James Jared BonNer Kevin Brown Peter Irish Tyler Fyer & The Lucky Dare Devil Thrill Show Brother Whit and Minerva Bourbon Barrel Congress After Jack The Harwell Grice Band Nick Driver Band The Letter Show Carbon Jam Carson Diersing The Community High Performance Band Music Lab Performers: Gabe Morales Trio Bukuru Celestin Harbor The In Crowd Jayna Brown Bella Fulton & Christina Reinard Kooper Jodoin and More!
Flower of Life DJ eXperience
Atropolis Atomic Reactor DJ Carlito GAUDI Gigamesh Janover & reSunator Phutureprimitive Stiletto
On the Rise Performers
Christopher Paul Stelling Crystal Bright & the Silver Hands
Glory on the Floor HogMaw Jon Stickley Trio My Old Ways No BS! Brass Band Option 22 Paper Bird Sanctum Sully Tauk The Manx The Relics The Floorboards The Royal Tinfoil The Whiskey Gentry Whetherman
Latest & Greatest
Rock & Bus – Luxury party buses to FloydFest!
Heard of the Rock & Bus? It’s almost too good to be true!.. use their interactive travel tool and schedule a hands-free, low-stress, reasonably-priced trip to FloydFest from any major point of departure in the US! Why not!? Plus, traveling on the Rockin’ Bus avoids off-site parking altogether- get dropped off right at the FloydFest site, and reverse the process on Sunday! Plus, easy-peasy day trips available to the show from regional towns and cities!
Visit these Outdoor venues, partners and adventures for a chance to win FloydFest tickets and more!
Get Out More Tour
Get Out More is a one-of-a kind mobile tour that brings the pages of Backpacker to life for audiences nationwide. From April to December, Backpacker’s experienced Get Out More road team will travel the country to educate consumers about the skills and equipment they need to Get Out More! Check out these GOMT stops below for a chance to win FloydFest tickets and other goodies!
|Eddie Bauer||16-Apr||4002 The Strand E 530||Columbus, OH|
|Mast General||14-May||402 South Gay St.||Knoxville, TN|
|Appalachian Trail Days||5/16-5/19||Damascus, VA||Damascus, VA|
|High Country Outfitters||5/21/2013||3906 Roswell Rd||Atlanta, GA|
|Mast General||22-May||111 N. Main St||Greenville, SC|
|Mast General||23-May||1601 Main Street||Columbia, SC|
|Wild River Outfitters||28-May||3636 Virginia Beach Blvd. #108||Virginia Beach, VA|
|Blue Ridge Mountain Sports||29-May||11500 Midlothian Turnpike #810||Richmond, VA|
|The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen||31-May||3421 Wintergreen Drive||Wintergreen, VA|
|Nelson County Appalachian Trail Daze||1-Jun||200 Mosby’s Run||Roseland, VA|
|Nat’s Outdoor Store||4-Jun||1121 Wilkinson Trace||Bowling Green, KY|
|Quest Outdoors||12-Jun||4600 Shelbyville Road #606||Louisville, KY|
|The Benchmark Outdoor Outfitter||13-Jun||1555 E. New Circle Rd.||Lexington, KY|
|Adventures NYC||22-Jun||Central Park||NYC, NY|
|Eddie Bauer||16-Jul||1961 Chain Bridge Road Space H5L||McLean, VA|
Great Outdoor Provision Company
Great Outdoor Provision Co. was founded in 1972 and is a specialty outdoor retailer based in North Carolina. With seven stores filled with gear and clothing for life outside, Great Outdoor Provision Co. is committed to personalized retail encouraging consumers to try on, get fitted, compare and contrast, touch and feel product, and interact with staff who know and go outdoors.
GOPC Store Locations:
Chapel Hill, NC,
Blue Ridge Mountain Sports
In 1972, we started with a love & passion for the outdoors. As one of the first outdoor equipment stores on the east coast, our days and our lives were full of hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing, camping and travel.
Blue Ridge Mountain Sports Store Locations:
1624 Laskin Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
1560 South Main Street,
Blacksburg, VA 24060
1125 Emmet Street N.
Charlottesville, VA 22903
11500 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
12020 West Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23233
4610 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
11537 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37934
Join us in celebrating the Memorial Day weekend with a daylong festival on Sunday, May 26th.
Enjoy sampling various American craft beers at the 2nd annual Brew Stash Bash on Saturday, June 15th.
This series has been created to showcase the trails in and around the Roanoke Valley and help turn you into a Mountain Junkie. We need more of you to help us feel normal.
- 03/02/13 – 9th Explore Your Limits 5k & 10k
- 03/23/13 – 5th Montvale 5 & 10 Miler
- 04/13/13 – 5th Mill Mountain Mayhem 10k
- 05/04/13 – 6th Trail Nut 10k and Half Marathon
- 06/02/13 – 3rd Conquer the Cove Trail 25k and Marathon
Learn why Roanoke is the best outdoor town on the East Coast. Choose your adventure and GET OUTSIDE!
April 20th – Blue Ridge Marathon
By directing premiere trail- and road-running events, Bad to the Bone Endurance Sports strives to motivate runners of all backgrounds to challenge themselves. For almost 10 years, Bad to the Bone Endurance Sports events have reflected owners Gill and Francesca’s decades-long knowledge and passion for running. From the events, participants can expect excellent quality in the organization, scenic courses, a welcoming atmosphere, and an experience which will never be forgotten.
April 20th is the Bel Monte 50 miler, 50K, 25K
Charlottesville Fall Classic Half Marathon/10K- October 13th
Danger! Zombies! Run 5K- October 27th
Real Girls Run Half Marathon- November 7th
FloydFest was voted “FESTIVAL WITH BEST FOOD” by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine. Thanks to everyone that voted!
“Festival food can take many forms: it can be strictly functional as fuel to keep music lovers operating throughout the weekend, or it can be a showcase of local, creative fare with the power to draw hippies from three stages away. FloydFest falls squarely in this latter category, with a cornucopia of chow from across the nation and world. Their food court is packed with enticing options, ranging from vegan sandwiches to crepes to Cajun gator bites. With ten years of Floyd under their belts, these food stands have their systems dialed, cranking out veggie burritos and French toast at an alarming pace for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The perennial favorite of the Blue Ridge Outdoors staff is the Veggiething from the Sugar Shack. Wash it all down with craft beer flowing at the various beer gardens. FloydFest is one festival where you may hear, “Dude, where did you get that sando?” as much as you’ll hear, “Dude, who you seeing tonight?”
The Jefferson Theater and FloydFest present Hot Tuna June 9th and Delta Rae June 22nd in Charlottesville, VA. Be sure to check out this amazing shows for a chance to win a FloydFest ticket and receive other goodies!!! See ya’ there!
Since its inception, Across the Way Productions, Inc. (AtWP) has held the bar high for achievement, performance and social responsibility while contributing to the economic diversification of Appalachia. In 2011, AtWP partnered with the Appalachian Carbon Partnership (ACP) to offer attendees of FloydFest the opportunity to balance their carbon emissions. AtWP successfully raised $4,434, which allowed the ACP to permanently retire 296 metric tons of carbon dioxide. The portion retired for this event supported the sustainable forestry efforts of a landowner in Bland County, Virginia. The partnership between the ACP and AtWP has helped contribute to the more than $200,000 the ACP has paid to small landowners and the nearly $600,000 it has paid to consulting foresters in the region. AtWP’s decision to offset with the ACP has solidified its reputation as a local leader in social, economic and environmental resilience.
Congratulations to Megan Jean & the KFB – FloydFest 11 On the Rise Winner! They will receive Dreaming Creek Main Stage Performance slot in 2013 with $3,500 in pay! PLUS – the $3,600 microphone package from Peluso Microphone Labs! Congratulations to the Lizzy Ross Band – FloydFest 11 On the Rise Runner Up! They will return to FloydFest in 2013 with $1,000 in pay! PLUS – the $1,600 microphone package from Peluso Microphone Labs!
While your typical ‘Top 10’ list reads like a ‘Best Of’, we take a different slant, annually compiling your Patron Survey Feedback into our Site Improvements Planning List. This year we received more than 800 responses to our online feedback request! Here’s what you can look forward to!
- SHUTTLES! Yep, so we can’t have enough. With a huge ‘thank you’ to the Wilkesboro, NC, Boy Scout Troop for their years of dedicated service, we also welcome the calvary in the form Mountain Valley Transportation- providing school bus transport for Roanoke area schools for decades. In 2013 the Scouts, with their hitches and trailers, will assist with camping gear transport, while MVT busses will go directly to and from the ‘Alpha-Delta’ complex, servicing all of our off-site parkers and campers!
- POWER TO THE PEOPLE (no, really!) With help from some electrical engineer friends, we’ve mapped an elaborate distribution system that will enable us to power 120 RVs- Thursday- Sunday! Let the DELTA Block Party BEGIN!
- NO CROWDING! We’re with you.. our mission We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again- our mission is to be the best music festival experience of our time, selling a limited quantity of tickets to the highest quality event experience, bar none, celebrating music, art and life in an intimate, visually stunning environment.
- DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS. Fair enough… some of us do, some of us don’t, and those who don’t should not have to breathe it. This year look for designated ‘non-smoking camping’ as well as increased signage and patrol in congested areas, including the main field. That said, we’re still Rockin’ in the Free World!
- WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE! So Klean Kanteen is, like, the best partner ever! Don’t we all really believe that good, clean water is a right, not a privledge?! To best water the masses, look for another hydration station in 2013!
- SHADE-y grove, my little love.. So we’ll keep hanging shade sails and planting trees, though admittedly, on our end, we do love the sun
- OFF SITE SHOWERS seem reasonable enough, and will decrease the demand on our 15 onsite showers. Look for these, and other new amenities at .. wait for it.. Lot D-now known as DELTA Lot! which we are making it’s own destination vacation!
- CAMPING CROSSROADS: Feeling gridlocked? We have timberframe partner Dreaming Creek stockpiling those awesome, solid timbers to continue lining our camping pathways, creating pathways so you can find your tent again!
- CAMPING CLARITY : So not-so-quiet camping lives up to it’s name, but ‘quiet camping’ isn’t so quiet. With 9 stages of music, quietude is a challenge. In 2013 we’re working to improve the pathway down to ‘adventure camping’ which we may well rename Truly Quiet Camping. Alternately, we would encourage our lightest sleepers to consider laying their heads at DELTA Lot our huge, beautiful offsite camping area with amenities including showers, campstore, bonfire and more.
- SIGN, SIGN, everywhere a SIGN! More directionals? That’s a no-brainer! Look for an enlarged, centrally-located ‘YOU ARE HERE’ site map, shuttle queue signs magnified x5, and whatever else we can think of that will make your path more apparant!
WHO CARES?! WE DO!
More info coming soon!
Floyd Fest was born out of a small hippie town – Floyd, Virginia – where the largely artistic and environmentally-minded community backed the idea from the start, with passion. Eleven years, later, the festival has become one of the premier music festivals on the east coast.
FloydFest voted Best Large Music Venue in Southwestern Virginia by Virginia Living Magazine! Thank you to everyone who voted!
What inspires you? What makes you Rise & Shine? Whatever it is, tell us about it!
Submit a story about you or someone you know who Rises & Shines! Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll choose one winning submission each month and send the winner a pair of FloydFest 12 ~ Rise & Shine weekend tickets. Don’t be shy ~ we’re going to post these stories on our homepage, Facebook, Twitter, and in the FloydFest program! Send photos and anything else that supplements your Rise & Shine story!
*By submitting your stories you are authorizing AtWP to utilize all submissions for any/all promotion purposes.
April Rise & Shine Campaign Winner
Sometimes it is a phone call in the night. A dispatcher giving an address, a vague story, minimal details to my sleepy brain. In minutes, I am driving towards what may be the worst moments in someones life. I don’t know if I will know the victim, or the family. I am going to help tell this person’s story, to write and draw the last day of their life. They call me CSI Floyd.
Yesterday, the early rising was to drive down the mountain to help in the Trauma Course to ER doctors, to Surgeons, to people who will treat the survivors. If I do my job right, and passionately teach how to listen, how to treat the patients with compassion, how to not miss the hidden injuries, maybe we can break this cycle of violence and self destruction that we humans seem to inhabit.
If I just accept the corporate idea that I am a cog in the healthcare machine, and just move people through with minimal care, passing out prescriptions, what does it change the world? If I listen, and take time, and help the patient understand what is happening to them, often, they do not need a pill. It does not rake in the money, so it will never be considered a good business model. The healthcare systems measure “quality” in their own ways. How do we measure compassion?
The next time you encounter a health professional, whether a medical examiner, ER doctor, surgeon, or your “PCP”, I want you to be able to say: “This person cared about me. They touched my heart. I am changed by this experience”. What gets me up in the morning, is that desire to teach a new way, to change the way we think about healthcare, to include passion and caring in everything we do.