At FloydFest, you’ll find an engaging, hands-on learning environment at every twist and turn of the woodsy pathways that lead through our mountain venue. Our Workshop Porch is one of our most picturesque stages, featuring both legends and hidden gems of the Appalachian mountain music culture. Scheduled visitors to the ‘porch scene’ over the years have included the likes of Taj Mahal, Ralph Stanley, Jorma Kaukonen, Chris Thile, and a host of others, and the intimate environment, the stories told and insights shared, are rare and priceless. Beyond the ‘yard’ of the workshop porch, you’ll find hands-on-how-to’s ranging from bee-keeping and primitive-tool making to hula-hooping!
The Workshop Porch does more than replicate the look of an old Appalachian-style porch, it is one! Recycled from a ‘local deconstruction,’ the Workshop Porch is hosted by Ferrum College and offers an intimate listening environment as well as opportunity to engage with musicians as they share songs, stories and techniques in a hosted, workshop-style environment. This year the Workshop Porch will feature performances from Donna the Buffalo, The Duhks, The Hackensaw Boys, Campbell Brothers, Guitar Prodigies w/ Quinn Sullivan and Gabe Morales and more!
FloydFest’s ‘Panel Discussions’ have included renowned speakers and activists engaging with headlining artists and the FloydFest audience, all participating in energetic discussions focusing on sustainability issues as they relate to our ever evolving music scene. We’ve had Noah Levine, Buddhist-punk-author of Against the Stream and founder of Dharma Punx; to Sam Cutler, former manager of the Grateful Dead and the Rolling Stones, sharing his experience inside the music industry; to Kris Hodges, FloydFest’s Founding Partner and many other engaging artists and leaders. Our Panel Discussions are lively, free-thinking forums open to everybody!
FloydFest 2014 Green Talks & Jams
- Thursday (2:30 pm – 3:15 pm): Workshop Porch: The Ferrum College Office of Sustainability Workshop presents The Plants and the Bees.
- Thursday (4 pm to 5 pm) Speakeasy: Join Michael Franti as he shares his unique perspective on life and our world, complete with jam!
- Friday (11:15 am) Global Village: Composting Workshop. Come learn how to get down in the dirt with us as we turn waste into soil!
- Friday (3:45 pm – 4:30 pm) Workshop Porch. Green Artist Jam. Come learn from FloydFest artists Rising Appalachia and others, with FloydFest founder Kris Hodges as we explore how to make our world a better place!
- Saturday (noon to 12:45 pm) Workshop Porch: Green Artist Jam with the Giving Tree Band!
- Saturday (1 to 1:30 pm) Children’s Universe: Kids Composting Workshop. Why should adults have all of the fun? Come get down in the dirt at the kids composting workshop!
- Saturday (4 pm to 4:45 pm) Global Village Stage. Join hero Rose Brown to learn about her quest to achieve zero waste—even with a baby!